Roulette is an outstandingly popular casino game. It has been played in its present form for more than two hundred years and various versions date back well before then. The name is derived from the term ‘little wheel’ for obvious reasons. Like the best ideas, it’s a very simple concept with depths of strategy and betting systems that hook the player in and make him think that it’s possible to beat the house. Roulette is played on a wheel spun by the croupier. A ball is then placed into the wheel spinning in the opposite direction and eventually falling into one of the slots as the ball and the wheel slows. A European wheel is numbered 1 – 36 plus one zero (totaling 37 numbers) while an American wheel has one zero and one double zero. Odd numbers are red and even numbers are black in the ranges 1 – 10 and 19 – 28 while the opposite is the case for the remaining numbers. The zeros are colored green.
The Betting Layout
- The casino betting http://dejeuxpoker.com/21-blackjack.html layout for a European wheel (hence only one zero at the top).
- After the croupier has spun the wheel he will indicate a point at which no more bets can be placed and the ball will eventually fall into one of the numbered slots.
- Before the ‘no more bets, the players must decide which bets they want to place. They place chips onto the betting mat accordingly and at a basic level, it’s very simple.
- If you place a chip on number one you have a 1 in 37 chance of winning and would receive a payout of your stake x 35 if the ball fell kindly.
- You can also place bets according to the other markers on the mat, red or black, odds or evens, numbers 1 – 12, column one, etc and the payout differs according to the bet. It’s even possible to bet on groups of numbers by placing chips on the line between two numbers (to bet on both), or on the corner of four numbers (to bet on all four).
- Once the ball is in its resting place, no one touches the table or chips until the croupier has determined the winning placings. He will sweep the losing chips away and awards the payouts to the winners.